Like any tech company, Starlink runs its operating system. And this means that it will have to roll out new updates periodically. As a user, these updates affect you directly. How are these updates important, and how do you update them? Here is a complete guide on how to update Starlink firmware.
Table of Contents
- Why do Starlink Firmware Updates Matter?
- How to Check your Starlink Firmware Version?
- How to Update Starlink Firmware?
- How to Update Subaru Starlink?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why do Starlink Firmware Updates Matter?
Pixelated words update on a digital background.
When Starlink rolls out a new update, it aims to improve the performance and stability of its system. It helps the service remain competitive and satisfy the needs of its users. Here are a few benefits of Starlink firmware updates.
- Helps improve the system’s security and prevent hacking.
- Enhances the system’s overall performance
- Makes the system more stable with little or no interruptions.
- Helps ensure that Starlink is compatible with newly invented gadgets and devices.
Operating systems are known to have bugs that cause all sorts of problems. A new update helps fix known bugs and problems.
How to Check your Starlink Firmware Version?
You can check your Starlink firmware version through the Starlink App. If you are yet to download the app, you can do so through the App Store (for iOS) or Play Store (for Android). Once you have installed the app, please open it and go to Settings > Advanced. You should see the firmware version listed under Starlink.
Check your Starlink terminal’s uptime to guess when the firmware was last updated. Whenever your terminal updates the firmware, the system will reboot. The reboot will reset the uptime counter.
While your uptime doesn’t give you a definite time of your last update, it tells you how long the firmware has not updated since the previous reboot.
How to Update Starlink Firmware?
Time to update
Currently, Starlink doesn’t allow its users to manually update their Starlink firmware. The company pushes all updates itself, which are automated and require no user intervention.
Starlink rolls out updates in a series of batches. It also remotely controls the updates. As such, users cannot opt in or out of these updates. Also, it can take days for an update to reach all users and may sometimes skip certain users.
How to Update Subaru Starlink?
You can manually update your Subaru Starlink. However, before you begin, there are a few precautionary measures to take:
- One, ensure your vehicle is in an open location where you can leave it on during the update.
- Secondly, leave your vehicle in park or neutral and the brake fully engaged.
- Finally, unplug cables, USB drivers, and devices from your vehicle’s USB ports.
Now you are ready to begin.
Step 1: Prepare Starlink System
The first step is to prepare your Starlink system and ensure it is ready for the update. Do this by starting the engine and allowing the audio unit to start up completely. Select the I Agree on the button.
- Go to Settings > General > and select System Information on your vehicle multimedia screen.
- If your system is already up to date, it will display REL_UA.20.38.70 or Rel_UA.20.41.70. If not, continue with the next step.
Step 2: Connect Subaru to Wi-Fi
The next step is to connect your Subaru to a Wi-Fi connection. You can use your home Wi-Fi if you are in range or your phone’s Wi-Fi hotspot. Note that the update requires at least 100 MBs of data, so use a Wi-Fi connection without data restrictions.
- On your vehicle multimedia screen, go to Settings > General > and turn on Wi-Fi.
- Next, tap on Back and select Wi-Fi Settings.
- The Wi-Fi signal strength should be more than 2 bars; otherwise, the update will be slow. Also, you may be prompted to enter a password before being connected to the internet.
Step 3: Download and Install the Update
You can now download and install the update. A few users have reported being unable to complete the update process because their clock time was incorrect. So, change this before you proceed. You can use your owner’s manual if you are in doubt about how to do this.
- First, go to General > Check for Updates.
- A pop-up window will appear displaying Software Update Ready to Download if there is an available update.
- Next, tap Download Now and wait as the download completes. You can check the download progress indicator in the top right corner.
- Once done, select Install Now.
Leave your vehicle on, as the system may reboot several times.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Starlink update firmware automatically?
Yes, Starlink pushes all automated updates, which will not require you to intervene. Also, you cannot opt out of these updates., although certain users may miss out on them. These updates are rolled out in a series of batches.
How do I know if my router needs a firmware update?
Go to Settings > General > and select System Information on your vehicle multimedia screen. If your system is already up to date, it will display REL_UA.20.38.70 or Rel_UA.20.41.70. If not, download and install the available update.
How much does it cost to update Subaru navigation?
Updating your Subaru navigation is free. You will not incur any cost whatsoever. You will receive free map updates within three years of your vehicle’s purchase.
In summary, Starlink firmware updates are important to ensure that the system functions and operates as it should. It will fix any bugs or problems that were in the previous firmware version while also introducing new features. So, watch out for that new update.