About Starlink router, Starlink is a SpaceX-provided internet satellite that uses sophisticated technologies to provide fast-satellite internet speeds.
Each Starlink kit comprises a WiFi router and phased array antenna, saving you from incurring the cost of purchasing a router separately.
Here are the six things you need to know about Starlink routers.
Table of Contents
- Specs of the Starlink Router
- Starlink Router Settings: How to Access
- Setting Up a Starlink Router
- Starlink Router: Starlink Bypass Mode (Starlink Bridge Mode)
- Starlink Router Range: How to Extend It
- Does Starlink Router Have Ethernet Ports?
Specs of the Starlink Router
The Starlink WiFi router has the following specifications:
- WiFi technology: EEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac standards
- Environmental rating: IP54, configured for indoor use
- Chipset: WiFi 5
- Range: Up to 185m² (2000sqft)
- Radio: Dual Band – 3 x 3 MIMO
- Operating temperature: -30°C to 50°C (-22°F to 122°F)
- Security: WPA2
- Ethernet adapter: Available to customers in the shop
- Mesh: Compatible with up to 12 Starlink Mesh nodes – Available to customers in the shop
Starlink Router Settings: How to Access
One of Starlink’s most incredible features is the administrative tool and built-in statistics.
With this feature, you can access Starlink’s administration dashboard via your mobile device to do any of the following:
- Change settings
- Check system status
- View your system’s information.
Also, the Starlink dish has firmware that generates the statistics page. That means you can access the dashboard even without using the Starlink router.
To access the administration page, you can use any of the following methods:
The Starlink App
This is the easiest and most convenient way to access the Starlink router administration dashboard.
And it’s available on both Android and iOS devices. Visit the app store, search for the Starlink app, and download and install it.
It would be best to connect to your Starlink WiFi network to access the router settings.
After you have installed the app, log into your Starlink account. The app lets you access the dashboard to see all vital information displayed, including your internet status.
Additionally, you can click on advanced router settings to enable DNS (Domain Name System) and 5GHz or 2.4 GHz splitting.
The Web Browser
Web browsers offer an alternative method of accessing your Starlink router using a device connected to your network.
And you don’t need a Starlink app when using this method. Type out or copy and paste one of the following IP addresses to your browser to access Starlink;
Remember, when accessing Starlink’s router page, you must use http://, not https://; but if you’re using a third-party router with a bypass-enabled mode, then type the statistics URL manually to access the network.
However, you can’t access other router options in the bypass mode.
The web version offers a dashboard with similar layout features to the Starlink router app version, albeit without some features.
For example, using the web browser, you can’t access Starlink’s advanced WiFi settings.
Setting Up a Starlink Router
Starlink router has a straightforward setup process thanks to the simple plug-and-play design. All you need is to connect the ethernet adapter to the router.
Then, plug the dish cable into the ethernet adapter instead of connecting your dish directly to the router.
(Caption: Image of ethernet adapter)
Also, there are neither power cables to plug in nor system settings to fiddle with when connecting the router.
Starlink Router: Starlink Bypass Mode (Starlink Bridge Mode)
Follow the steps below to set up the Starlink bypass mode.
- First, establish if your model supports an ethernet port. To do that, study your Starlink official manual. If the router does not support an ethernet port, purchase a separate ethernet connector from Starlink’s official online store.
- Next, connect the Starlink LAN port to your third-party router’s WAN port.
- Then lastly, open your Starlink mobile application and follow these steps:
- Go to the settings and enable the bypass mode to disable the wireless functionality to enable bridge mode. Your Starlink router will reboot to operate in bridge mode, and you’ll lose connection to your Starlink router.
- Next, do a factory reset to switch to the normal state
- Then set up the static route on your third-party router under the bypass mode to use the Starlink app.
Starlink Router Range: How to Extend It
Starlink’s router range depends on where you’ve placed your router. However, the router should be within a less than 2,000 square feet range for the best signal.
That said, thick walls, trees, and other objects obstruct WiFi range speed and make it necessary to extend the WiFi range.
The easiest way is to use a Starlink mesh network, which you can purchase from the official online store or an authorized dealer.
But before making any purchases, first, try the following:
- Move the router to a high position.
- And if your devices are further away, connect them to the 2.4 GHz band. See, the 2.4GHz travels further, albeit offering slower internet speeds, while the 5GHz provides faster internet speeds but only over shorter distances.
- Also, move away items such as baby monitors and cordless phones as these interfere with the signal.
Other alternatives to using the Starlink mesh network include:
- Using a WiFi extender
(Caption: Image of WiFi extender)
- Connecting the router to a powerline adapter. However, you’ll need an ethernet adapter or other internet bridge. Just ensure that the bridge does not require you to run wires or cables.
- A third-party mesh system, although for this you’ll need a Starlink ethernet adapter and must enable bypass mode.
- Connecting additional wireless points using the Starlink ethernet adapter.
Does Starlink Router Have Ethernet Ports?
SpaceX’s first-generation Starlink routers with round dishes featured dedicated Ethernet ports.
However, SpaceX removed dedicated Ethernet ports in their second-generation routers shipped with rectangular dishes for two reasons:
- To make the router design leaner
- To make the router waterproof and more effective for military and disaster situations
The good news is that you can follow this simple process to add an Ethernet port to your Starlink router.
Purchase a WiFi Ethernet adapter from Starlink’s online shop and use it as an ethernet plug-in to your router.
Can You Plug an Ethernet into a Starlink Router?
If you’re using the new rectangular Starlink System, you may need to purchase an Ethernet adapter separately.
The new second-generation router lacks Ethernet ports.
Is Starlink Router Good?
Starlink offers great performance with good wireless coverage. It works best in single-family homes and performs efficiently under heavy network loads.
How Many Ethernet Ports Does a Starlink Router Have?
The Starlink first-generation router accompanying the round dish has one ethernet port, while the second-generation one with the square dish has none.
You can plug in an Ethernet adapter to connect more devices.
Undoubtedly, Starlink does focus on user experience, considering the freedom it allows users to configure routers or even include a third-party router.
Also, it is easy to configure the router as the process is pretty simple, plus the option to extend the internet coverage range.