Technology is taking everything to a whole new level. You can now tell your vehicle’s exact location and monitor its subsequent movements thanks to GPS trackers. The same technology that tells you how far your uber driver is. But how does it work, and how do you install it in your vehicle? We take you through the GPS installation guide for beginners.
Table of Contents
- Reasons You Need a GPS Tracker for Your Car
- How to Install GPS Tracker in a Car
- The Best Positions to install GPS in a car
- Tips for Easy GPS Installation in a Car
- Frequently Asked Questions
Reasons You Need a GPS Tracker for Your Car
A GPS navigation logo
Global Positioning System, commonly referred to by its acronym GPS, is a tracking device installed on an asset, a vehicle, or even worn by a person. It provides tracking in real-time by showing the exact location and subsequent movements.
Here are a few benefits of installing a GPS tracker on your car.
- As mentioned, GPS shows the real-time location of your vehicle. You can therefore check whether it is safe or not. A GPS tracker also helps locate your vehicle if it is lost or stolen.
- Some GPS trackers alert you when your vehicle requires maintenance. This helps ensure that your car’s servicing needs are up to date, minimizing unbudgeted costs and repairs.
- Also, a GPS tracker gives you an accurate record of your vehicle’s usage. In turn, it helps you maintain the car by following maintenance schedules and preventing any delays that may result in breakdowns.
- For businesses, a tracker helps you keep an eye on all your employees. It also improves business performance and efficiency.
How to Install GPS Tracker in a Car
Hand with a phone on a background of parking
The precise procedure for installing a GPS tracker will vary depending on the type of tracker. However, here are the basic steps to follow.
- The first step is to identify the mounting location of your tracker. It should be away from the driver’s view and potential thieves.
- Next, use a 3M VHB tape or zip tie strap to attach the tracker securely. Ensure it is firmly in place and will not dislodge easily.
- Once in place, the next step is to connect the tracker to a power source. Most trackers have three wires; black, red, and white. Make sure you attach them in the right order. The white wire connects to your car’s 12-volt ignition source, the red wire to the 12-volt power supply, and the black wire connects to the ground point.
- Lastly, if everything is set, your GPS tracking device should start working after you start the car. It may take around five minutes or more to start registering data.
The Best Positions to install GPS in a car
Real-time GPS tracking
The best place to install a GPS tracker in a car is anywhere away from the driver’s sight but easily accessible by mechanics and installers. You don’t want the tracker to obstruct the driver’s view and their ability to drive.
It’s also important to place the tracker hidden, where it cannot be tampered with. Here are a few best positions to install a GPS tracker in a car.
GPS Installation Guide: OBDII Port
The OBDII Port is the best place to install your GPS trackers for two reasons. One, it doesn’t obstruct the driver and hinders their driving ability. And, two, the port receives a power supply from the vehicle, and you don’t need to worry about your tracker’s battery life.
GPS Installation Guide: Under the Car
You can also place your tracker under your car but attach it using a magnetic device. Also, you must ensure that your tracker is waterproof and won’t be damaged when exposed to dirt, water, and snow.
There are GPS trackers that you specifically place under the car. They normally come with a weatherproof metal case.
GPS Installation Guide: The Dash
You can place a hardwired tracker within the dash. Place it discreetly to conceal the device from the public. You can also install your GPS tracker inside the seats, in the bumpers, in the wheel wells, or under the carpet.
Tips for Easy GPS Installation in a Car
- One, Make sure that the GPS tracker is easily visible and accessible. This prevents it from being removed by anyone. Also, if you decide to install it on your dashboard, ensure it doesn’t obstruct the driver’s view.
- Most GPS trackers are sensitive to movements since they have an accelerometer. With this, please place it in a location free from vibrations.
- Don’t place the tracker on metal surfaces that will overheat it. It should also not be on moving parts.
- Finally, Place your tracker upside down. Make sure you fasten it properly, and no one can dislodge it easily.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you put a GPS tracker on a car?
Yes, you can install a freestanding GPS tracking device anywhere in your vehicle. It will give real-time tracking of your vehicle and comes in handy when lost or stolen.
How much does a GPS installation cost?
The cost of a GPS tracker will vary depending on the type, model, and brand. Generally, car GPS trackers range between $100 to over $600. You may pay additional charges if you want professional installation.
How long does it take to install a GPS in a car?
Installing a GPS tracker is an easy task that should take between 5 to 10 minutes, even for beginners. If you are experiencing difficulties, you can call in a professional.
GPS trackers help improve the overall safety and efficiency of your vehicle. It will always notify you if things aren’t working as they should. And in case your vehicle gets lost or stolen, you can always track it after informing the authorities.